Photo: In-house firefighter
[/media-credit] Joey Sandy presents Dot Jones with her certificate of appreciation.
Sarah “Dot” Jones of Sperryville, who works at Washington’s Blue Rock Inn, smelled smoke during the intense heat of one of those pre-storm afternoons last week; she tracked down the source and found that a smoldering area of mulch around the restaurant’s rear deck had spread to the deck itself. She ran for buckets of water and put the fire out. Restaurant/inn general manager Joey Sandy, left, presented her with a certificate of appreciation for helping make an already tough week significantly less so.