Opioids in Virginias Piedmont:
A Deadly Decade
From 2008 through the end of last year, 859 people in Virginia’s Piedmont region, including Prince William County, died from drug overdoses. In 4 out of 5 of those deaths, opiates were responsible.
Beginning in 2016, the number of opioid deaths jumped dramatically—more than 40 percent. A big factor, according to law enforcement officials, is the spreading use of drugs laced with fentanyl, a synthetic narcotic that’s 80 to 100 times stronger than morphine. From 2016 through 2018, almost 78 percent of the opioid deaths in Fauquier County involved fentanyl. The rate of deaths was only slightly lower in Culpeper and Prince William counties—about 67 percent.
As featured on
Rapp News and Foothills Forum are continuously covering the impact of COVID-19 on our community. Sign up to have the C-19 Daily Update delivered to your inbox every morning.
Click here to sign up...
Community support for the nonprofit, nonpartisan Foothills Forum provides research and reporting about Rappahannock County matters, in collaboration with the Rappahannock News.
Here's our work so far...
- Body believed to be of missing woman found in Shenandoah National Park
- New store manager at Williams Tree Service gives store a fresh face
- Search continues for woman whose missing ‘wrecked and abandoned’ car found in Shenandoah National Park
- COVID-19 rising again in Virginia and Rappahannock
- M.J. Gager is a world champion — and she’s only nine years old
- Happy 200 + 1, Sperryville!
- County supervisors deny application to rezone 35-acre Sperryville property in 4-1 vote
- Facing perceived threat, supervisors scrambled to adopt solar utility ordinance
- Search underway for missing person in Shenandoah National Park
- Comment: The Delta Variant is coming. Make sure it’s not coming for you.
- Humidity: 89%
- Cloud Coverage:16%
- Wind: 0 mph
- UV Index: 9 Very High
- Sunrise: 06:10:40 AM
- Sunset: 08:26:43 PM
Except for a few afternoon clouds, mainly sunny. Hot. High 92F. Winds light and variable.
A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible early. Partly cloudy skies. Low 67F. Winds light and variable.
A mix of clouds and sun with the chance of an isolated thunderstorm in the afternoon. High 86F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.