I wanted to add in a few things to complement an April 15 article in the Rappahannock News about marijuana [“Marijuana will be legal in July. Now What?”]. Any serious discussion about marijuana should include some history of how it became illegal in the first place. It had always been called “cannabis” until 1930s drug czar Harry Anslinger decided the Spanish word was scarier-sounding and somehow the name stuck. A few of Anslinger’s choice quotes:
Rapp News and Foothills Forum are continuously covering the impact of COVID-19 on our community. Sign up to have the C-19 Daily Update delivered to your inbox every morning.
Click here to sign up...
Community support for the nonprofit, nonpartisan Foothills Forum provides research and reporting about Rappahannock County matters, in collaboration with the Rappahannock News.
Here's our work so far...
- Rappahannock County Public Schools announce new high school principal
- Virginia plans to end COVID-19 restrictions on June 15
- Now that’s entertainment: ‘Everybody would get drunk, fight, and run their horses around town’
- World-renowned chef touts Pen Druid’s brews
- Northam issues state of emergency to address gas supply disruptions
- Behind the Badge: A Look at the Rappahannock County Sheriff’s Office, Part 2
- The state minimum wage is on the rise. What does it mean for Rappahannock businesses?
- Commentary: A successful day, a cleaner county
- Coronavirus updates: The local impact
- Searchers find body believed to be missing 18-year-old in Shenandoah National Park
- Humidity: 76%
- Cloud Coverage:42%
- Wind: 3 mph
- UV Index: 8 Very High
- Sunrise: 06:01:12 AM
- Sunset: 08:17:07 PM
A mix of clouds and sun. High around 70F. Winds light and variable.
Partly cloudy skies. Low 47F. Winds light and variable.
Partly cloudy. High 72F. Winds light and variable.